ELISE’S PERSONAL ADDRESS BOOK IN LYON
Élise, founder of Escadrille, has had many lives, which have led her to live in different places, in France and abroad. But it is in Lyon that she settled a few years ago and it is from this bright and lively city that she manages and develops the brand. Of Lyon she loves the dynamism, the incomparable quality of life, and the beauty that can be found everywhere. She opens up her very personal address book, her favourites places, her secret spots, so that you can experience Lyon like a local when you next visit!
SAINT JEAN (Vieux Lyon)
The magnificent medieval and Renaissance district of Lyon is a feast for the eyes with its small cobbled streets and beautifully restored old houses. Of course it is the most touristic area of the city but it is also a great spot to find some of the best restaurants in the city, both traditional and contemporary. A perfect place to spend balmy summer evenings.
– As you visit Musée Gadagne (Lyon’s traditional puppet museum), take the good opportunity to stop off on the top floor terrace of its café-restaurant, as it offers great seasonal products. MAM – Musée des Arts de la Marionnette 1 Pl. du Petit Collège, 69005 Lyon
– A mythical address in Lyon, we love everything about La Cour des Loges, a wonderful hotel in a breathtakingly beautiful renaissance building. A Michelin-star restaurant, a bistro-café-grocery, a cooking workshop… for a special occasion, you can’t do much better that this! La cour des Loges 2 Rue du Bœuf, 69005 Lyon
– On the heights of Vieux Lyon, Villa Florentine has a stunning panoramic view of the city. A hotel with a fab swimming pool, a very good restaurant, a spa… an ultra chic address. La Villa Florentine 25 Mnt Saint-Barthélémy, 69005 Lyon panoramic view
– We love the concept of Food Traboule, the latest of Lyon’s great experiences, with 12 kitchen areas on 2 floors and chefs live cooking. You choose your dishes (and the choice is hard, because here everything is good!) and then you go and sit wherever you want in the beautiful spaces, each with a different atmosphere. Food Traboule 22 Rue du Bœuf, 69005 Lyon
– For a real bouchonomic experience (bouchon + gastronomy, so very Lyon!) we go to Chez Daniel & Denise, where our favourites are always the pâté en croûte and the terrine forestière. Chez Daniel & Denise 36 Rue Tramassac, 69005 Lyon (alternative address 156 Rue de Créqui, 69003 Lyon)
– If you need a little exercise after all these delights just head to the Basilique Notre Dame de Fourvière, behind Vieux Lyon. It’s quite a climb but from up there the view is unbeatable! 8 Pl. de Fourvière, 69005 Lyon
– Another nice walk in the district, the Jardins des Curiosités are also a great way to get a good, higher ground view of the city. Jardins des Curiosités Pl. de l’Abbé Larue, 69005 Lyon
CROIX ROUSSE SLOPES
Arty, foody, this is a lively district, all in a setting of charming old streets! It is therefore an ideal area to go out, especially as it offers a wide variety of addresses, from the most traditional to the trendiest.
– Restaurant Le Musée is a real traditional Lyon’s “bouchon”, which has so much atmosphere, with its moleskin benches and its simplicity. Restaurant Le Musée 2 Rue des Forces, 69002 Lyon,
– Mythical La Mère Brazier, which turned 100 years old! A Lyon institution that is constantly reinventing itself, revisiting Lyon’s classics in a contemporary spirit and in a short food circuit. La Mère Brazier 12 Rue Royale, 69001 Lyon
– The place to be for bon vivants par excellence, Élise loves to sit on the Nosh restaurant outdoor terrace for lunch with friends, the menu changes every day and the wine selection is top notch. Nosch 24 Rue Palais Grillet, 69002 Lyon
– Maison Nô is a former bank transformed into a beautiful and intimate hotel. Reach to the top floor to enjoy a quiet moment on its rooftop terrasse for lunch, dinner or a drink or 2. Maison Nô 11 Rue du Bât d’Argent, 69001 Lyon
– A fab patisserie and a caterer embracing seasonal products, while respecting ancestral traditions. Delicious and simple! Minna Pâtisserie Traiteur 12 Rue d’Algérie, 69001 Lyon
QUARTIER DE LA TÊTE D’OR
Close to Parc de la Tête d’Or, the green heart of Lyon, this is Élise’s neighbourhood. She loves the beauty of its buildings, the walks in the park which is full of activities for children. A chic neighbourhood par excellence, it is also home to some wonderful places to eat.
– A simple and modern concept, for healthy and organic dishes, in an atypical lovely setting. L’Estanco du marché 4 Rue Pierre Corneille, 69006 Lyon
– A chic and contemporary Bistro, with an inventive menu of seasonal products, and a magnificent wine cellar. M Restaurant 47 Av. Maréchal Foch, 69006 Lyon
– A contemporary Lyonnais bouchon that values friendly, traditional cuisine and honours Lyonnais specialities Le Bouchon Sully 20 Rue Sully, 69006 Lyon
– One of Paul Bocuse’s bistro restaurants, located in the elegant Brotteaux train station, a listed historic monument, which lets you travel, in every sense of the word! BRASSERIE DE L’EST 14 Pl. Jules Ferry, 69006 Lyon
Lyon’s business district, very lively during the day, ideal if you are short of time before catching your train.
– In the heart of Part Dieu shopping centre, Food Society reinvents the concept of the Food Court, with 10 food kiosks, a Bouillon, a bar and a large terrace. Food Society Centre Commercial, 17 Rue Dr Bouchut, 69003 Lyon
– A unique covered food market with 56 artisans, a tribute to what is good and beautiful. And our absolute crush, the oysters from Chez Antonin. Les Halles de Lyon Paul Bocuse 102 Cr Lafayette F, 69003 Lyon.
The presqu’île is the equivalent of the city centre (even if Lyon, like Paris, is a collection of neighbourhoods and village-like areas), framed by the Rhône and the Saône, is the Mecca of shopping in Lyon, where Elise’s favourite boutiques are located.
– On the banks of the Saône, opposite Vieux Lyon, you can stop here for a drink and let time go by. Buvette Saint Antoine Passerelle du Palais de Justice Facing 1 Quai des Célestins, 69002 Lyon
– A Sicilian family story paying a beautiful tribute to the cuisine of Italian grandmothers. Not to be missed! Casa Nobile 3 Pl. de l’Hôpital, 69002 Lyon
– A well-buttered brioche with a good dose of pink pralines… Need we say more? It’s wonderfully addictive, we love it! PRALUS 32 Rue de Brest, 69002 Lyon (several addresses)
– In the gorgeously transformed Hôtel Dieu, Intercontinental Hotel is a great spot and we love having a drink under its Dome, a super elegant place. Café de l’hôtel Intercontinental le Dôme (Hôtel Dieu) 20 Quai Jules Courmont, 69002 Lyon
– An ultra charming, contemporary hotel with a warm atmosphere, “a trip back in time to the four corners of the world filled with memories”, a very precious address! Hotel De Verdun 1882 82 Rue de la Charité, 69002 Lyon
– A very nice shop to find all the trendy pieces of the season! LULLI 5 Rue des Quatre Chapeaux, 69002 Lyon
– A great concept store where you can find top brands, both confidential and well known, in ready-to-wear, shoes, decoration, a gold mine! Pop & Shoes 6 Rue Chavanne, 69001 Lyon
– A multi-brand store with a great selection of all the cute fashion brands for women we love. Bonny 19 Rue Auguste Comte, 69002 Lyon
– And on the presqu’île, enjoy the quays for superb walks, in particular around Centre Nautique Tony Bertrand 8 Quai Claude Bernard, 69007 Lyon